It’s been a month since we looked at anything to do with Brexit…
One of the complaints that people keep making about Brexit …people lie and then complain about others lying. So I thought I would share a few facts with you…how you interpret them will I suspect depend upon the particular political glasses you are wearing…
1) Brexit Derangement Sydrome is here – During that time we have had a lot of noise, increasing hysteria to the extent that I think we can now safely say that Brexit Derangement Syndrome is a real thing. As an example consider this from the Independent who seem to have a particularly strong form of the disease. “People trying to conceive in Britain could suffer from delays to foreign sperm donations under a no-deal Brexit because of additional red tape, technical notices released by the government have revealed.”
2) Some parts of the Leave campaign are both unwise and racist –
I was disgusted to see this LeaveUK tweet – one of the wickedest and stupidest things in a very competitive field.
3) Most of those who voted Leave are not unwise or racist – –
If you want to understand why so many people voted for Leave watch this…
4) Belonging to the EU has costs –
Belonging to the EU is going to cost Scotch Malt Whisky a 25% tariff on its $2 billion US sales.
Another and more significant cost is that of democracy. The EU has just appointed a failed German defence minister, a failed Belgian PM, a former Finance minister found guilty of negligence and a Spanish politician done for insider trading as its most senior appointments.
5) The Suspension of the Prorogation of Parliament was a waste of time and money –
After all the fuss about the need for parliament to meet to deal with this ‘national emergency’ what did our MPs do with the extra week they have had. Nothing. Except bellow, blame and bluster. They have become a complete embarrassment.
6) Jeremy Corbyn understands what the EU is – but is being a hypocrite…
7) The purpose of the EU is to create an Empire to compete with China and the US
The EU will have an EU army with conscription –
Remember when Nick Clegg said an #EUArmy was a "dangerous fantasy"!
Well here is Guy explaining exactly that. Plans are to conscript 18-35 yrs, 'Mandatory European service', if you have young children like me, be concerned, Von der Leyen's job is to make this happen. #Brexit pic.twitter.com/IMj1Ln2U5L
— Darren of Plymouth 🇬🇧 (@DarrenPlymouth) September 10, 2019
8) The EU’s negotiation is all about stringing out the process until we give them the right result –
Guy Verhofstadt & his drunk Brussels bureaucrats boast about keeping us shackled to the EU for 5yrs.
Remain MPs are colluding with these people in an attempt to wipe out your vote. Don’t let them get away with it!
— BrexitTory (@_BrexitTory) September 11, 2019
9) Another referendum won’t solve the issue –
if Remain won it would be the effective end of UK democracy for many people – and if Leave won again the Remainers would not accept it – as Caroline Lucas confirms here.
10) Australia (and other nations) want a trade deal ASAP –
Being here in Australia it’s interesting seeing the enthusiasm for the opportunities being created by Brexit. Even to the extent of wanting a visa free arrangement for work, travel and study between the two countries.
11) The first referendum was not won by electoral fraud.
The electoral commission ruled that there was nothing wrong a couple of weeks ago – and yet the myth persists.
12) It is highly unlikely that the UK will leave the EU by October the 31st and doubtful that we will leave it at all.
I cannot see how the EU or UK establishments will let us. The EU have much of the UK legal, arts, political and business establishments in their pockets and they don’t have to face an electorate. So they will continue to operate the way they always have.
In my view the EU will insist that there is either an election or a 2nd referendum before they grant an extension (apparently the Speaker, John Bercow, without any authorisation, has been negotiating with the EU). Because it is likely that Boris Johnson and the Tories would win an election the Remainers will seek to avoid that and have another referendum. In other words we are going to have a Neverendum until ‘the People’ give the elites what they want.
From a Christian perspective I think that the this from Carl Truman is the best thing I have read on Brexit recently..
“For them Europe is an irrelevance, a waste of time and money, a politically correct behemoth, a political construct of no real substance at all.
If Europe is not so, then one can only conclude that the political classes have failed to persuade people like my sister otherwise; and these same classes are disenfranchising those same people as punishment for their own failures. Those who fear the rise of political extremism might do well to reflect on the implications of that—rather than Brexit or Trump—for the health of our political future.”
Meanwhile I can only watch with despair as the UK political classes destroy UK democracy – and pray that the Lord would have mercy and grant us wise, strong and gracious leaders.
PS. Ian Blackford, SNP leader, won’t see this. He doesn’t handle disagreement very well, so he has blocked me. Feel free to pass it on to him!